Fee King

Fee King
Campaigning For Fitness

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Careful of what U ask for...Cause U just might get it!

As a fairly new retired personal trainer; the thought of hiring a personal trainer is both scary and a little intimidating. It’s like going to the movies and watching a movie from the perspective of a moviegoer and not that of an actor. It’s very difficult for me to take direction and advice from a fellow-fitness professional. I’d much rather just work out with you. I know it’s all Ego based, but I’m sharing my truth with you. I remember the day Robby Robinson, a.k.a. The Black Prince, walked into Beyondo2 water store, where I was working. He had on dark shades, a grey hoodie type sweatshirt and a beanie with headphones on. And, it was hot as hell outside. Lol He gave me very little eye contact; therefore, I instantly disliked him. I’m used to people wanting to chat me up about this or that in the water store environment. He was the complete opposite. I recall this one time he came in and he mistakenly filled up his water containers with our Advanced Reverse Osmosis VS our 9.5PH alkaline water. You would’ve thought the world was coming to an end when I told him he filled up under the wrong faucet. He shared with me that he MUST have alkaline water for his work. Based on his appearance, I knew he was in the fitness industry. I didn't want to like the man, but we had a LOVE 4 water in common. lol I gave him a pass; however, while my dislike for him intensified, my respect for him grew. I realized, here was a man who exhibited focus, specificity of his goal; determination and he valued his time. I thought he was mean. He wasn’t mean. He simply didn’t have time to be coming into the water store to shuck and jive with Fee King. Ya'll Like how I refer to myself in 3rd person. As time went on, my intrigued for Robby Robinson grew. I was determined to break his shell open and get inside of the mind of this intriguing man. So, I decided to talk to him. What a novel idea. Here I was waiting for him to chat me up, when all I had to do was to take some initiative. We quickly became friendly with one another. I learned that Robby is a little shy. I knew he was older, but when he shared with me that he was turning 68-years young in a couple of weeks, I was BLOWN away. He walks tall, confident and upright. He has an extraordinary physique. I also learned that he’s a legend in the body building industry: Mr. America, Mr. World, Mr. Universe, Mr. Olympia, Masters Olympia and so many more. And he’s kind with a great smile. While coming up with ideas to promote the Summer 2014 production of my 1-woman show, “Momma Was A BAD Mutha…Shut Yo Mouth, I thought it would be cool to hire Robby, a.k.a. Mr. Black Prince himself, to train me. He loved the idea. We were both so excited. I was heart-open to learn from the BEST on how and what to eat to achieve the long, lean and muscular physique; along with cardiovascular shape I needed to have on stage. He would come into the water store and it’s all WE would talk about. We giggled over the idea of taking photos and shooting our videos of us training for social media sites. We were both equally excited about this new venture. My bubble was busted when my production team said we didn’t have it in our budget to pay Robby’s rate. I held a space that one day, when the time was right, I would get my opportunity to train with Robby. That day came a lot sooner than I anticipated. October 9th, 2014, I turned 44 years young. On the morning of my birthday, the only thing I had planned, besides flying out to Maryland to meet my newborn 13-day old niece, would be to meet Robby Robinson at the Mecca of ALL body building gyms– Gold’s Venice, in the heart of Venice, Ca. OMGoodness! I learned so much in that 1-hour long session. We trained quads. My thighs were sore the same day. That rarely happens to me. I was sore and tight for three days afterwards. Robby was attentive, focused on detail and on my form and breathing. I’ve never worked with a trainer who emphasized imaging how you wish your body to look. That was so Bob Proctor of him. Lol. We were on the same page with training. He didn’t train me to become a body builder. He trained me to build the only body I have; which he said was extremely strong, fit and muscular. His note to me was to now fine tune and shape my body in the way I IMAGE it and to work on making alterations to my diet. Today, October 18th, 2014, I had my second session with Robby. I didn’t think it could get any better. But it did. I rose at 5:50 a.m. I ate my oatmeal, as he prescribed, and headed down Main Street for Gold’s Venice. We worked chest, abductor and adductor. Robby re-affirmed what I already know about myself; which is: My body is a work of art. I am strong. I can have ANYTHING I want. There is nothing I cannot do and have. It’s not everyday I meet a man or woman over the age of 40, who’s not somewhat jaded, negative and a little cynical. It’s refreshing to meet a 68-year young man who is so full of life, optimism and energy. He not only trains me, but also does every single exercise with me. He’s a Beast in the gym and I’m a fortunate lady. Be careful of what you ask for... because you just might get it. Ya Hollywoodfitnessgotogurl fee@verticalmagazine.net yahollywoodfitnessgotogurl@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A prolific and amazing athlete/bodybuilder teacher,guru and person .I have followed the Black Prince for years his knowledge has helped me attain a level I never imagined I could reach !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock Fee! You continue to amaze me as I've become a fan of Fee King (like how I refered to you in 3rd person?). And happy belated YOUR day kid!

    ReplyDelete