Fee King

Fee King
Campaigning For Fitness

Monday, April 27, 2015

What Up My NIGGA!!

I was asked by a very good friend of mine, who just soo happens  NOT be of Black-American ancestry, why do black people greet one another with:  “What up my nigger!  He also wanted to know why Black people get upset when non-blacks are heard using this word. I was excited for this opportunity to, firstly give him a brief history of the word, from my perspective. However, I had to begin by lovingly explaining to him the difference between the two words; so that he wouldn’t make any inappropriate public mistakes…if you catch my drift.  There is a difference between:  
                                   .  Nigger                               AND
.  Niggah

I also took this opportunity to share with my good friend, that in ALL of my years on this Earth and my travels both in this country and abroad, that NOT one of my Black-American friends has EVER greeted me in such a despicable, degrading and disrespectful way.  No two black person’s are alike.

Being from another country and of another culture, he thinks that if WE, meaning black people, openly and publicly refer to one another by the “N” word, then why is it upsetting to Us that others reference US that way.  Herein lies the issue with the “N” word. This is why this word had to be buried and need not continue to be resurrected. 

Once considered a term of endearment amongst those in the black community. Although, some black people would argue that they have NEVER used the word. Um! Okay. I, on the other had, have used the word. However, now that I know better…I do better.  I liken the “N” word to chitterlings. Black-American slaves were fed the worst part of the pig. They, in turn turned this negative into a positive, by preparing the pig’s intestines in a way that was palatable.  These creative and resourceful Black people would infuse;  seasonings and a more suitable way of cleaning the innards of the pig; which over the course of time became a delicatessen in some homes. Still is today for some Black households.  They did the same with the “N” word. We changed the spelling and the pronunciation of this ugly word and tricked ourselves into thinking we were  creating some sort of solidarity and communion with one another when we referenced each other with “What up my Ni____!  It bothers me when I hear people, both young and old, referencing one another by this word. Its’ not cute. I don’t like it and I don’t think it’s necessary. Although, I grew up in the rap music culture; I blame rap for making this word accessible to ALL.  Not good. Not good at all. 

I went on to explain to my friend the difference in Us, Black people, using the word and white people using the word.  The history of the word nigger, originating around 1587, is often traced to the Latin word niger, meaning Black. This word became the noun, Negro (Black person) in English, and has been used to describe and refer to both Black-Americans and the Subsaharan African people’s as a form of:
.  inferiority
.  lesser in class
.  criticism
.  hostility
.  disregard
.  disrespect

My friend walked away with a better understanding; as did I. I get the hoopla over the word. I understand why some people would argue, if you can say it, then why can’t I. As my mother used to tell me growing up:  “Do as I say, Not as I do”. Know thyself and know OUR worth!

Yahollywoodfitnessgotogurl
@Yahollywoodfitnessgotogurl
yahollywoodfitnessgotogurl@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment