Fee King

Fee King
Campaigning For Fitness

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Now I know where ALL the happy white people are...in Church!!


Love will make you do some crazy things. My boyfriend asked me to go to church with he and his family Saturday evening in Santa Clarita. I haven’t been to church in seven or eight years.  When we started dating, I told him I didn’t go to church and that i’ve been there, done that and i have the t-shirt to prove it. I also told him that i believe in God and that I have a personal relationship with God.  Lastly, I told him I had no interest in conversion. I’m opposed to labels and I take issue with people throwing around the title of being a “Christian” to loosely and then passing judgement if you’ve decided to NOT prescribed to organized religion.

So, here I am ironing my red party dress preparing to enter the doors of the church house with my man in tow. Thank goodness he phones me to tell me that they dress casual at this church. At least I wore a skirt. 

We arrived in Santa Clarita, after a 50-minute drive. Who drives nearly an hour to worship?  The same people who drive nearly an hour for a Jay Z or Beyonce concert I’m sure. No judgement. We walk up to the church and it looks like a mini concert hall with outdoor seating, big flat screen t.v.’s all around and a coffee shop.  We walk in to be greeted by what appeared to be happy people, smiling and welcoming us.  Now, I am treading lightly on water when I say this next statement.  But, here goes.  I have NEVER been in a room full of so many caucasian people smiling at me and greeting me with hellos. I’m just saying that …that has NOT been MY experience.  One after the other welcomed me. Several women gently pushed past other women to tell me how much they loved my hair. I seriously thought I was on candid camera. If only WE could all be that kind, loving and sincere with one another when we’re pushing our carts passed one another in the grocery store, at a traffic light or at a K-Mart blue light special. I’m just saying!  

We walk into the cathedral. Yes, I called it a cathedral. This was the largest church I’d ever been in.  It had stadium style seating and the room was dark. I almost thought we were waiting for Prince to hit the stage. The  the room became even darker before the stage lit up revealing  N’sync-like Christian Rock band.  WTFreak!  Young girls, between the ages of seven and nine were one row behind us singing the lyrics from the large flat screen tv screen projectors that scrolled: “King of Kings and  “our Savior saves”, yada! yada! yada!  They were adorable.  The band.. slash choir sang two songs too many; however, they played well together and had powerful voices. I liked them. I was on my feet swaying back and forth clapping my hand to my thighs. I was into it.   However, I did feel myself getting off beat.  I’m not sure what that was about; except that it frustrated me trying to get back on beat, in a church setting.

I couldn’t help but scan the congregation. I was one of maybe five black people; including the older black lady who was a choir member.  I know what you’re thinking:  Fee is always noticing race.  I notice OUR differences; yet celebrate our similarities.  I grew up visiting Baptist and The Kingdom Hall church, where black people attended church primarily with other black people.  I always wondered if white people went to church at all.  When I watched Tammy Faye Baker on TV, I thought it was a PBS special. I din’t know it was a real church.  lol

Not to mention, the last time I attended church, there were no women with rocking semi-backless dresses. There were no women walking around the church house with their entire G-String showing. Now, I’m not passing judgement; I’m just sharing the facts. My eyes and ears are recalling what I took in.

Soon after the choir/band performed, the collection bag followed. When I attended church, it was referred to as the “collection plate”.  Not only has the name changed, but they have an app. It’s called the “offering app”  WTFreak. 

The pastor, of “Real life Church” entered the stage area to address his audience. This is what he called them. I’m not making this up. Last time I attended church, they were referred to as “The congregation” or “paritioners” .  But, this is a new day and things have obviously changed. Pastor Rusty was a combination of stand up comedian, Adam Sandler, meets motivational speaker,Tony Robbins. He had a motivational speaker kind of vibe about himself.  

My take away from my experience at “Real Life Church’s” Easter Service is that this Christian Church is all about community. I get why families see the importance of worshipping with their children, family and friends. There was a sense of camaraderie and of belongingness. It was also confirmed to me that WE are far stronger together than we are SEGREGATED.  There was good energy resonating throughout the entire building. I would personally love to sit down and interview Pastor Rusty; as he’s got a good business model going on that I believe could be duplicated in any industry.

Now, will I return to “Real Life Church” for the Real people? Sure, why not.  Will I become a regular every Sunday church-goer?  Nah! However, I was enlightened and actually left with a better sense of what Easter is and why it’s celebrated Easter.  It’s less about the cadbury chocolate eggs and pas coloring dipped boiled eggs, chocolate covered hallow bunny rabbits and more about Jesus Christ resurrecting after three days, giving his followers hope because of the shedding of his blood. It’s still little murky for me. As a young girl, I would ask my mother questions about Jesus and the bible and she always told me, “We never question the bible”.  That was her way of saying, “Hell if I know and to stop asking her.”  So, here I am today, asking the questions and admitting that I don’t know much about the bible.  However, I am willing to learn; as I have a seeking spirit.

Yahollywoodfitnessgotogurl
@yahollywoodfitnessgotogurl

yahollywoodfitnessgotogurl@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment