Fee King

Fee King
Campaigning For Fitness

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Are you the NEW Black?

Today is day 24 of my 30-day yoga journey. I'm up early; as in O'dark thirty; which translates to 6:00 a.m. in order to make my 7:30 a.m. yoga class with Rebecca; who just so happens to be a beautiful woman of color from the East Coast.

Now, I know a lot of you "NEW Black" folks are wondering, why does Fee King focus so much on race, nationality or ethnicity?  I can tell you are the "NEW Black" if you are asking yourself this question. It's because Fee King LOVES contrast. I love that which is different and unique. If we were all made the same, how boring a Nation and World would this be. With these differences, come some obvious truths.  That's what I want to share with my people today.  Not until I recently began my yoga journey, did I fully realize that I, Fee King, am a NOT the "NEW Black". I know this because, here are a few things that the NEW Black do that I don't:

.  They swim
.  They don't have rhythm
.  They aren't athletic
.  They attended an Ivy League School without Financial Aid or a scholarship
.  They put their three and four month old babies in swim classes
.  They eat Raw and Vegan (Exclusively)
.  They've been practicing YOGA for years.

Obviously, I don't know very many of these new blacks; because where I'm from and the era I grew up in such a thing just did not exist.  LOL

The fact that I am loving yoga brings my attention to the fact that I am not alone when I make this statement; which is a lot of people in my previous social circle didn't grow up with an awareness to yoga. I watched a show on "E" network a couple years ago about Ashley Judd. She said her GRANDMOTHER introduced her to yoga. WTF! I didn't dare say this outloud, but I thought yoga was new. I'm going to stop there. No, I'm not showing my ignorance, but my vulnerability. Know the difference between the two.  LOL

I consider myself to be one who straddles the fence between "The NEW and The OLD Black", I am happy to see more Black-American's embracing change. I am happy to see more of my sisters and brothers seeking things, people and opportunities outside of OUR immediate environment. I know some of my foreign transplant sisters and brothas are reading this and saying to themselves, "Hey, Wait a minute. "I can't relate to some of the  things the "NEW BLACKS" can; so I, too, must be a "NEW Black".  To them I say, "Hey! "Watch ya mouth." "You can be your own NEW. But, you can't be "The NEW Black."  That title is taken. Free at last! Free at last. Thank God Al Mighty - we're FREE at last.

I am on a journey that is taking me to places I couldn't even imagine. Today, I am grateful that I stepped out of my comfort zone and my little box that was Omaha, NE- to experience ALL that Is...All that is Possible and ALL that I AM becoming.  I am grateful that I finally surrendered to Yoga. It is by far, the best gift I've given my whole self, in a long time.

I just keep going back because I know it works.

Yahollywoodfitnessgotogurl  - Fee King
@yahollywoodfitnessgotogurl (instagram)
yahollywoodfitnessgotogurl@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment